Selling your goods on Amazon gives you the perks of customizing a listing. However, not many sellers know the ropes on how to optimize listing. If not optimized properly, this will prevent your products from being shown to consumers.
An optimized listing does wonders for your product’s visibility. If your listing is enriched with top SEO keywords, chances are your products will land on the top SERP (Search Engine Ranking Position).
How to Optimize Listing on Amazon
Before optimizing your listing, make sure that you have already researched for top keywords as well as your competitor’s keywords. You can use Helium10 to gather keywords based on products and ASINs. You can even do a reverse ASIN lookup and find your competitor’s keywords. Once you have the keywords ready, you can now proceed to optimize your Amazon product listing. However, please keep in mind that if you exceed the allotted number of characters, Amazon will suppress your listing. The workaround is to edit your Amazon listing and make sure you stay within the character limit.
- Optimize your product title — Your product title should be limited to 200 to 250 characters and contain the following:
- The brand (example: Shoes)
- The product line (running shoes)
- Material or key feature (breathable nylon)
- Product type (Footwear)
- Color (White)
- Packaging/ Quantity (1 pair)
- Optimize your Product Description — The product description is limited to 2000 characters and is the second thing and plays a key role in SEO. A compelling product description describes your products and should already address the customer’s questions about it even before they ask. Make sure you highlight your product’s features and benefits and why they need your product. Your product description is also crucial in Amazon SERP and conversions so make sure you include your top keywords in this section. When using keywords, make sure to update your keywords regularly so that your listing will always have the most relevant keywords.
- Expand your bullet points and provide your product’s additional benefits and uses — Make sure you highlight the uses and benefits of your products in this section. You should also support your claims if the products have undergone testing and certification.
- Optimize Product Bullets or Key Product Features — You can now add up to 10 bullet points with a maximum of 500 characters per bullet. Therefore, you must highlight the top 10 features that you want your customers to see first. Make sure that your key product features grab the attention of the consumer. State the specific features and benefits of your product and how it addresses your target customer’s pain points. However, do not include price, company, or shipping information as well as discounts or freebies. TIP: Start your bullets with a capital letter and use a consistent tone.
- Product Images — Your product images should be at least 1000 x 500 pixels. The main image should have a white background. All other images should show 80% of your product and show the uses. You can add a total of 9 images which includes 1 video. The video is available only if you are brand registered. Your listing will only show the first 6 photos so make sure you choose the best. The rest of the images will only show up when the customer clicks the images section on the listing. For brand registered owners there is an option to add a video instead of an image on the 6th slot.
- Keywords — In the past, sellers resorted to keyword stuffing to ensure that their product lands on top of SERP pages. This is not the case now as Amazon flags keyword-stuffed listings. What you can do is use the top keywords on your title then distribute a few keywords in the bullets and description. You can use all your keywords, even the misspelled and Spanish keywords, in the backend search terms and alt text of your images. Keep in mind though that unacceptable keywords will also be flagged when you use them in your image keywords. In addition, you cannot repeat keywords, use competitor brand names, or the ASIN on the backend keywords section. Make sure you also complete all pertinent information about your product on the Edit Product section of your listing for complete optimization which includes your target audience, product information etc.
Benefits of An Optimized Listing
Now that you have learned how to optimize Amazon product listing, what’s in it for you? Once your listing is optimized, you get to enjoy:
- High Ranking SERP — Imagine a customer looking for a new television yet doesn’t know what brand to purchase. When they enter keywords such as brand new tv and your listing has been optimized for that keyword and related keywords, they will see your listing on the first page. Thus, your product will have the most views because most buyers see this as a sign that the brand is good because a lot of people buy it.
- Attracts More Buyers — A clear and concise listing attracts more buyers because they don’t have to ask questions or wonder what benefit they will get from your product.
- Helps You Stay Competitive in the Market — If your listing stays on the top SERP pages, it will most likely show up in Google’s algorithms. Thus. your product will be visible not just on Amazon but on different search engines as well. More and more people will see your product and buy them or refer them to family and friends.
- Highlights the Benefits — An optimized listing lets you highlight your product’s benefits and tell a story. You can easily tell your buyers about why your product will be helpful to them and why they need to purchase it. You don’t really have to tell them that your product is better. Enumerating the many features and benefits will make them realize that your product is more convenient and useful than the rest.
- Organic Search and Conversion — Optimized Amazon listings give your product more visibility because your top keywords show up on organic searches. This means you don’t have to spend much on advertising because your listing will generate more conversions.
An optimized listing not only helps you improve your content and make it more interesting to consumers. One of the main benefits of having an optimized listing is that you stay on top of the SERP (Search Engine Ranking Position) not just on Amazon but on other search engines. This helps you gain more sales and makes your product more competitive.
If you need help in optimizing your product listings, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help you out. Talk to you soon!
“Well done is better than well said.”—Benjamin Franklin