TikTok has taken the internet by storm. You can see a lot of short videos of people dancing to short tunes, sharing their everyday lives, and offering DIY or hacks. TikTok catches the attention of the Gen Zers because the videos are short and catchy. In this present time, the younger generation has a shorter attention span which makes Tiktok the app for the younger generations. As a business owner, you can use TikTok marketing to extend your brand reach and hopefully get a variety of audiences.
How TikTok Came To Be
TikTok originated from the app Musical.ly before it became Doujin in China and migrated all the non-Chinese users. To date, there are 800 million app downloads with more than 100 million active users in the US.
TikTok was launched outside of China in 2017. In August of 2018, Musical.ly officially merged with TikTok. It was initially a success due to the short catchy videos. However, in June 2020, TikTok was banned in India due to its explicit content. Former US President Donald Trump also banned the app in August 2020, after many videos against him were posted.
This did not stop TikTok. Amidst all the controversy, TikTok still gained a lot of users and consequently, became more vigilant in scrutinizing the content.This led to the removal of 6 million videos that were against the community guidelines.
At present, TikTok now has over 1 billion users in 150 countries as compared with Facebook’s 2.8 billion active users and Instagrams 1.4 billion users.
Why You Need to Use TikTok Marketing
TikTok is great for engagement because a user can like, comment, or share a post even without following the user. You also don’t need to be an expert to create videos. What added to the appeal was that users can create amateurish videos with cool effects and music that would catch the attention of anyone. Focused on originality and fun, you can reach more people at a lower cost as compared with other internet ads such as Google and Facebook. In addition, nearly 38% of TikTok users in the US are above 30, so you wouldn’t have to worry that your audience may be too young.
In fact, many brands already use TikTok to gain more views. Even news agencies and experts use TikTok to educate its viewers. With videos that range from 15 to 60 seconds in length, you can be sure that viewers won’t get tired of watching content. This is what adds to its appeal. Thus, introducing your brand on TikTok would mean brand recognition.
How Can Your Brand Use TikTok Marketing?
As a business owner, you can use TikTok in your marketing campaign. Here’s how:
- Create your own channel and upload relevant videos. Use popular hashtags so your content will be visible to more users.
- Work with influencers to reach a broader audience. Influencers also add credibility to your brand when they use your products.
- Run TikTok marketing ads. The most popular type of ads are In-feed ads that also show up as TikTok content on the Discover feed.
Suggested TikTok Marketing Campaigns
The great thing about TikTok is that you don’t need to spend too much on ads to generate views. So long as you post fun and original content, your content will be more visible on feeds. However, you should always have fresh content so your viewers won’t get bored. Here are some suggestions for campaigns:
- Hashtag Challenge – Remember Jimmy Fallon’s #tumbleweedchallenge. He challenged users to upload their own videos and this campaign generated more than 8000 submissions and 10.4 million engagements. Come up with a unique hashtag that’s relevant to your niche and post content. You can also stitch videos or duet with other top TikTok users to gain views.
- User-generated content – Ever wondered why people love the daily life vlogs? It’s because it is relatable and gives people a glimpse into other people’s lives. People are generally nosy. So the more personal you are, the more views you get.
- Partner with an influencer – Influencers help you gain credibility. Imagine Bella Poarch using your product and sharing it on her TikTok feed. That would help your content reach a broader audience with the number of followers she has.
- TikTok marketing ads – If you have the budget to spend, invest on creating ads that target your audience. This will ensure that your content reaches those people who may be interested in your niche or share the same interests as what your brand offers.
TikTok is now the most popular social media platform that caught the attention of viewers of all ages. Since the videos are short, it also appeals to young people with relatively short attention spans. There are also many ways to gain brand recognition in TIkTok without hurting your budget.
What are you waiting for? Join the TikTok craze and target more prospects!
Need help with your marketing plan? Give us a call and we’d be glad to help you out.
“Creativity is intelligence having fun.”— Albert Einstein